One of the ways that we reconnect with the world around us is through Mindfulness. Simply put, mindfulness is staying present and in the moment without:
fantasizing or daydreaming to escape your life
blocking upsetting thoughts / feelings with constant music or tv
numbing your thoughts and feelings with drugs, alcohol, or self injury
Mindfulness is being in the moment. Feeling what you feel, seeing what you see, hearing what you hear, smelling what you smell, and tasting what you taste. It is experiencing your life using all senses available to you.
As I sit here I can hear birds, airplanes, wind chimes, an occasional car, a dog barking in the distance, and the clicking on my keyboard.
I feel cool air, an occasional breeze from the open window, the firmness of my chair, the feel of my clothing against my skin.
I smell my coffee, incense
I see my computer screen, my dogs, a hummingbird, some bees, flowers, a tree, a roaming kitten
I taste my coffee, some chocolate, gum.
Ways to reconnect with the world around you:
- play with a child
- carve a pumpkin
- turn off the tv
- teach tricks to an animal
- garden without a radio or iPod
- practice carpentry
- play with the pets
- put down your phone
- turn off your electronics for an hour
- wash dishes by hand
- eat gobstoppers
- Go on a walk without your phone
- touch your food, feel the lettuce
- walk barefoot
- float in a pool of water and notice how the water feels on you
- take a sculpting class
- go stargazing
- watch an eclipse
- meditate outside in nature
- make biscuits from scratch with your bare hands
- find an outdoor yoga class